Charter Information at a glance:
- Sponsor Club: Bunbury Rotary Club
- District Governor: Nate Shilkin
- District Governor Representative: Rodney Joshston*
- Charter President: Bill Parry*
- Inaugural Meeting: 3rd May 1967
- First Regular Dinner Meeting: 17th May 1967
- Date of Admission to Rotary International: 23rd June 1967
- Induction of Members: 28th July 1967
- Charter Presented: 4th Nov 1967
- Membership at Charter: 24 members
- President: Bill Parry * Footwear Retailing
- Vice-President: Roy Hancock Capital Investment
- Vice-President: Ted Denton Motels
- Secretary: Maurie Anderson Education – High Schools
- Treasurer: Ron JONES Automobile Access Dist.
- Sergeant-at-Arms: John Mettam Hardware Retailing
- Club Service: Cec Henson Insurance General
- Community Service: Peter Johnson Horticulture
- International Service: John Wellstead Automobile Retailing
- Vocational Service: Allan Main * Laundries – Self Service
- John Coote * Automobile Repair Service
- Ern Freckleton Petroleum Retailing
- Lester Grummet Groceries – Retailing
- John Harris Builders Hardware Distribution
- Norm Illingworth Engineering – Mechanical
- John Larson Education – Primary Schools
- Tom Long Battery Manufacturing
- Reg Louden Printing
- Jack McCulloch * Automobile Financing
- Dean Mulchary * Pharmacy
- Syd Palmer Hairdressing – Mens
- Fred Sawyer * Meat Retailing
- Max Wilson Rural Loans
- Iver Roberston Cartage Contracting
* Denotes Deceased
The Rotary Club of South Bunbury was formed by The Rotary Club of Bunbury. Bunbury Rotarian and District Governor’s Special Representative Rodney JOHNSTON accepted the responsibility of forming the club, and making sure it started its Rotary Career with careful guidance.
Some twenty five business and professional men in the area designated for South Bunbury were invited to form the club. A meeting chaired by Rotarian Rodney was held on Wednesday, 3rd May 1967 at the Highway Hotel, and all members invited to form the South Bunbury Rotary Club were requested to be present. This meeting confirmed the establishment of the South Bunbury Rotary Club and elected office bearers and directors.
The first regular dinner meeting was held on Wednesday 17th May 1967 and was attended by 19 members of the Provisional South Bunbury Rotary Club and 12 members of Bunbury Rotary Club.
Past District Governor Syd RYAN attended this meeting, representing District Governor Boyd BUTTSWORTH.
Bunbury Rotary Club President Vern HALEY made an offer at this meeting of presenting all provisional South Bunbury members with their button hole badges and dinner name plates as a gift from the mother club.
Induction Dinner Meeting:
The Rotary Club of Bunbury sponsored the induction night on Friday 28th July 1967.
The venue for this meeting was the Rose Hotel with fellowship at 6.30pm and a buffet dinner at 7.00pm.
A large gathering of Bunbury and Visiting Rotarians with their wives joined the South Bunbury Rotarians and their wives to make this a memorable occasion for all in the South Bunbury Club.
Rotarian Vern HALEY of Bunbury Rotary Club presided over the meeting and Rotarian George BAXTER (Bunbury Club) acted as induction officer. The sincerity and faultless manner of the induction inspired all those present. All members of the Provisional Rotary Club of South Bunbury were presented with a lapel badge, various Rotary pamphlets and a signed copy of “Adventures in Service” following the induction.
Past District Governor Syd RYAN gave an inspiring address to all present, leaving them with the following message : “Keep Rotary Simple; do not allow it to become complicated.”
Charter Presentation Night
Charter Night was held on Saturday 4th November 1967.
The venue was the Highway Hotel winter beer garden, prior to commencing the official program at 7.30 pm in the Southway Ballroom.
250 people attended to see the Rotary Club of South Bunbury admitted into District 245 as a Chartered Rotary Club.
List of gifts presented to the club at charter:
Presented by District 245 the following:
- A Rotary International Flag
- An Australian Flag
- A Union Jack Flag
- Photo of Queen Elizabeth II
- A Framed Copy of South Bunbury Charter
- A Framed Copy of the Objects of Rotary
- Gong & Gavel
- A Table Lecturn
Presented by Rotarian Norm Payton of Bunbury Club the following: A Lecturn
Presented by Rotarian Vern Haley, and framed by Rotarian Jack Best of Bunbury Rotary Club.
A Framed Copy of autographs of members and visitors attending the Charter Dinner. This item is with the club history – in storage.
Presented by The Rotary Club of Taipei West in recognition of formation. A plastic table centre depicting pressed Butterflies and an Information Booklet on Taipei, Taiwan.