Darren a young engineer is a man with a mission. His enthusiasm and passion for re-cycling plastics and ridding the world of plastic pollution was contagious when he spoke last week.
A few snippets from his talk.
- Plastics are one of the least bio-degradable products on the earth.
- Although useful for packaging there is so much of it in the world it has become a mega problem. By 2050 there will be more plastic in the oceans than fish.
- No plastic recycling occurs in WA. Up until recently, WA sent our waste to China who have now refused to take any waste from Australia… Options of exporting our rubbish to India or Indonesia would be avoiding responsibility for our own mess.
- Rome wasn’t built in a day and the plastic pollution is so great that for starters, Greenbatch will concentrate on recycling plastic drink bottles to show that this is feasible both practically and financially. Once this is demonstrated as a success, recycling of all the other plastics will be tackled.
- Darren sees Rotary Clubs support of recycling drink bottles as essential to convince the community to also become strong supporters. A great talk and it is safe to say our Club will be a strong supporter.